Tate Tallies Twice in 2-2 Draw With #6 Hopkins

Photo by Matt O'Haren
Photo by Matt O'Haren

(Baltimore, Md.) – The #17-ranked Dickinson women's soccer team headed south on Tuesday night to face the #6-ranked Blue Jays of Johns Hopkins. Both teams entered the match with their lone losses coming to #1-ranked Messiah by identical 1-0 scores. They would come out on par, playing to a 2-2 draw in double overtime.

The Blue Jays also entered the night with an eight-match unbeaten streak, including two straight ties. The Red Devils wouldn't be able to snap the streak but played to 2-2 draw with an outstanding effort.

Carli Boyer (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) tipped one off the crossbar in the 18th minute and made another big save minutes later to keep the match level. Hopkins kept coming, sending a shot over the crossbar at the midpoint of the half and forcing another big save from Boyer.

Alexandra Damron hit a well-placed one-timer into the back of the net with an assist from Maddy Rocks in the 32nd minute to give the Blue Jays a 1-0 advantage.

First-year Meg Tate (Carlisle, Pa./Carlisle) made a great move in the area and was taken down to draw a penalty kick.

The Blue Jay goalkeeper guessed correctly but couldn't stop the shot as Tate pulled the Red Devils even, with just over eight minutes to play in the first half.

First-year Sarah Hughes (Media, Pa./Penncrest) made a strong defensive play before Boyer pulled in a dangerous loose ball in the 64th minute.

Rachel Jackson slipped a shot just under a charging Boyer in the 68th minute with an assist from Samantha Hoffman, who had just entered the match on an emergency substitution, just moments earlier.

The Red Devils sensed the urgency and made some strong attacking runs in the late minutes.

Tate saved the day with just over a minute to play, flicking a header into the net for her second of the night on a well-placed serve from Charlotte Glancey (Princeton, N.J/Montgomery).

 Addy Zandi (West Chester, Pa./B. Reed Henderson) put a beautiful serve in front of the net on a corner forcing a nice save from Hopkins goalkeeper Caitlin Hendricks.

Tate rocked a shot on a free kick in the first overtime, but Hendricks came away with a big save and Boyer pulled a ball away at the midpoint of the second overtime to stall a Hopkins threat.

The Red Devils earned a corner, but the Blue Jays were able to clear. Tate just missed the hat-trick as a header went just inches wide of the post with minute to play in the second overtime.

Boyer finished with four saves on the night as the Blue Jays held a 22-12 advantage in shots.

The Red Devils move to 7-1-4 overall and 3-0-2 in the Centennial Conference. They return home to face Washington College on Saturday, kicking off at Miller Memorial Field at 2:00 pm.