Devils and Lions Play to a Draw on Wednesday Night

Devils and Lions Play to a Draw on Wednesday Night

HARRISBURG, Pa. - 110 minutes would not be enough to find a winner on Wednesday night as the Dickinson men's soccer team played to a 1-1 non-conference draw at Penn State-Harrisburg. Andrew McSlarrow picked up the Devils lone goal, while John Baney made seven stops in net to help earn the result.

Four minutes in PSU had a chance as Daniel Fombu brought down a long ball from over the top, but it got trapped in his feet preventing him from getting a clean look at Baney between the sticks for DC. In the 13th-minute PSU looked to take advantage of a free kick in the attacking third, but the service from Jose Palomeque missed his man at the back post. However, two minutes later the Lions got the breakthrough with Joey Aman slotting the shot past Baney. With 16:54 to go in the opening half Dickinson would draw level with Andrew McSlarrow nodding home a beautifully weighted free-kick from Tyson Burling. The Devils would have the final three chances of the half with Meron Tekeste sending a free-kick just high in the 39th, followed by Cole Jennings ringing the crossbar (44th) and Chaz Smith being stopped by Nicholas Gugliemett off a corner on the final kick of the period.

The first ten minutes of the second half would see the home side on the front foot with Baney having to make a pair of saves turning away Luke Myers twice. After that most of the half was played in the midfield until the Red Devils managed their first shot when Connor Uitterdijk settled a bouncing ball in the box and forced a diving save from Gugliemett with 13-minutes to play. PSU came back down the pitch three minutes later with Sebastian Krysztofow and Daryl Lucas both having shots pushed to the side by Baney. The final five minutes would feature a lot of action with Burling having the only attempt for the visitors, while Baney parried an Alex Afata blast off the woodwork.

Dickinson had the only opportunity in the first overtime just two minutes in when a corner from Burling found the feet of Mack Moore, but his shot was knocked away by the keeper. The Devils got the opening chance in the second period (104th) as well with Adam Moreland being stopped by Gugliemett. Then, one minute later a long throw-in by Myers led to a glancing header by Michael Albers that Baney was up to the task for. The final chance of the night came from Lucas as he sent a header wide at the horn.

Next on the Pitch

Dickinson returns to Centennial Conference play on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. when they welcome the Green Terror of McDaniel College to Dickinson Park.