Late Goals Lead to OT Win for Men's Soccer

Photo by Matt O'Haren
Photo by Matt O'Haren

(Dallas, Pa.) – The Dickinson men's soccer team came out on top of a non-conference thriller on Wednesday night, twice pulling even before overtaking host Misericordia, 3-2, in overtime.

Senior Brendan McGovern (Burlington, Vt./Kimberly Union Academy, N.H.) gave the Red Devils new life, scoring with just 2:52 remaining in regulation to set the stage for a Kevin Gilbert (Boxford, Mass./Phillips Exeter Academy, N.H.) header for the game-winner in the first overtime.

The Red Devils forced an early corner, but the Cougars were able to clear. Dickinson put together some strong runs in the first half, creating another chance on a corner with a header just over the crossbar.

Misericordia countered and sent a pair of shots just wide of the net before putting one on target to force a save from Frederick Meagher (Southport, Conn./Fairfield-Ludlowe) at the midpoint of the half.

The Cougars kept coming and Meagher laid out to stop another shot as Cody Rogers made his way into the penalty area. Moments later Meagher tipped another strike over the bar and made a strong play on the ensuing corner.

That led to hard shot from Gilbert on the other end with Andrew Daubenspeck making the save.

Mohamed Kourouma (New Haven, Conn./Wilbur Cross) had a look and fired a shot off a Misericordia defender as the Red Devils built some nice attacking runs in the final minutes before the break.

Misericordia made a quick counter to start the second half, putting an early shot wide and Galil Cohen (Princeton, N.J./Princeton) put a shot on goal with Daubenspeck pulling it in.

The Cougars broke the tie in the 55th minute as Nick Szczerba found the back the net for a 1-0 advantage.

Play continued to go end to end with both teams creating chances. Kourouma hit a hard shot off the hands of Daubenspeck and then Mohammed Kane (New Haven, Conn./Wilbur Cross) broke behind the defense and scored the equalizer with just over 19 minutes remaining in regulation.

Dickinson looked to be gaining some momentum from the goal, but the Cougars found the net again off the foot of Ethan Benedict in the 77th minute.

The Red Devils refused to give up, using a long throw from Will Brock (Lewisburg, Pa./Lewisburg) to knot the match in the 88th minute. McGovern finished after the ball made its way through a crowd at the six-yard line.

The Red Devils had a shot right out of the gate in overtime and then had to weather some strong set pieces as Misericordia earned a pair of corners.

Kourouma made a nice move on the right sideline and served a brilliant cross to the back post where Gilbert was waiting to head the ball in for the game-winner with 2:09 to play in the first extra frame.

Meagher finished with six saves on the night as the Red Devils held a 19-14 advantage in shots. Misericordia held the edge in corners, 5-4.

The Red Devils improve to 7-5 on the season. They return to Centennial Conference action on Saturday, hosting Washington College at 4:30 pm on Miller Memorial Field.