Devils Magical Season Comes to an End in NCAA 3rd Round

Devils Magical Season Comes to an End in NCAA 3rd Round

CARLISLE, Pa. - In front of another raucous crowd at Biddle Field on Sunday afternoon the Dickinson men's lacrosse team got a goal with no time left in the first quarter from Skyler Schluter to tie the game at 2-2. However, after that, it was all Gettysburg as the Bullets went on a 15-5 run over the final 45-minutes to knock off the Red and White 17-7 in the Third Round of the NCAA Tournament. 

They always say it is tough to beat a team three times in a season and Gettysburg looked to prove that right off the bat as Spencer Knife solved Chris Brandau at the 1:49 mark for the 1-0 lead. The Bullets kept applying the pressure recording four more shots, which caused the keeper to make two saves. That seemed to bring energy to the Devils sideline as Schluter found Sam Campbell who stuck his shot past Scott MacMillan. Dickinson then got attempts from John McKee and Will Farrell that were denied by MacMillan. After the trio of Sascha Gannon, Campbell, and Schluter all missed the target, Knife notched his second of the day with 2:41 to play. A save by Brandau at the 19:23 mark on Connor Hume led to Schluter putting the rock in the back of the net with no time left to make it 2-2 after one.

Just before the start of the second quarter, there was a lightning strike in the area which led to an hour delay. When the teams came back onto the field it was the Devils who were on the attack as Tucker Booth and Matt Thurston were turned aside by MacMillan inside the first two minutes. Then, Gettysburg mounted a charge with Griffin Gallagher, Kyle Howard, George Raymond, and Kieran Ward each let shots go at cage with none of them hitting the target. However, with 3:19 off the clock, Ward tallied man-up after an unnecessary roughness penalty to Toby Ketchum. The Bullets scored two more times thanks to Andy Marquet and Aidan Wykoff, before Owen Porter stopped the charge with an unassisted goal cutting it to 5-3. Dickinson trim the margin to 5-4 as James Isaacson beat the keeper after a failed Gettysburg clear. The Devils had the chance to tie the game just prior to the half, but Porter was turned away by MacMillan which led to Ward cashing in at the other end for a 6-4 halftime lead.   

The visitors opened the lead up to five with just over six minutes off the clock as Howard, Knife, and Wykoff each hit the back of the net making it 9-4. Dickinson tried to right the ship with consecutive shots by Sam Campbell going wide, before Thurston finished off a nice dish from Jake Giotto to stem the tide for a moment at 9-5. Five of the final six shots in the quarter belonged to the Bullets with Raymond and Wykoff adding onto the advantage pushing it to 11-5 through three quarters. 

Gettysburg extended their run to four in a row early in the fourth as McCain Wnek and Gallagher buried the rock making it 13-5. Another DC faceoof win brought life back into Biddle when McKee hit a streaking Thurston who let a rocket fly past MacMillan still with 12:02 remaining. The two sides traded the next two markers with McKee answering a tally by Wykoff to bring the score to 14-7 at the 5:30 mark. MacMillan stopped the next three Devils shots as the Red and White tried to claw back into the game. However, it would be Hume (2) and Ward that added three more to the ledger for the Bullets to set the 17-7 result.    

Red Devil Leaders

Goals - Thurston (2)

Assists - Giotto and Schluter (1)

Groundballs - McKee (11), Cam Battisti and Capp Reynolds (3)

Saves - Brandau (7)

Bullet Leaders

Goals - Wykoff (4), Knife and Ward (3)

Assists - Jack Dunleavy, Knife, and Raymond (2)

Saves - MacMillan (11)

Up Next

After an outstanding 2022 campaign Coach Webster and the rest of his staff will be back in the Spring of 2023 with a motivated team that will look to build onto their legacy.