Devils Make School History With NCAA 2nd Round Win Over Stevens

Devils Make School History With NCAA 2nd Round Win Over Stevens

CARLISLE, Pa. - In front of the biggest crowd of the season, the Dickinson men's lacrosse team led wire-to-wire and showcased a stifling defense en route to a 20-6 NCAA Tournament Second Round win on Saturday afternoon over the Stevens Institute of Technology Ducks at Biddle Field. With the win, Dickinson improved their record to 19-0 and broke the school record for most consecutive wins which was 18 back in the 2013 season.

The Red and White wasted little time in getting on the board as James Isaacson beat Justin Gold with an unassisted tally just 37-seconds in. Dickinson recorded the next eight shots with Gold making two stops on Tucker Booth and Matt Thurston, while Will Farrell setup Skyler Schluter at the three-minute mark to make it 2-0. Stevens finally threatened the Devils cage manned by Chris Brandau with 5:15 off the clock as he shut down Ryan Caplis. Sam Campbell and Isaacson each hit the back of the net for the home side 52-seconds apart to extend the margin to 4-0 with 7:45 left. Brandau would make two more saves before Caplis dented his armor. The final 90-seconds of the first saw three goals with Jack Savarese scoring for the Ducks, prior to Sascha Gannon and Booth pushing the lead to 6-2 after 15-minutes. 

The opening five minutes of the second saw Stevens rack up five shots, but once again Brandau served as the eraser denying Brendan Sullivan, Mikey Whiteside, and Savarese to hold the lead at 6-2. That ignited the Devils attack as they responded with the next 12 shots forcing five stops out of Gold, while Owen Porter, Campbell, and Isaacson all scored for the hosts to stretch the advantage to 9-2 at the break.  

Stevens began the third period fired up with Caplis and Sullivan missing the mark a combined four times, before Michael Burns scored at the 2:54 mark. After another successful faceoff win by John McKee, Xander Usich picked up the rock and ripped a shot that was stopped by Gold. However, less than a minute later Thurston tickled the twine to open the lead back out to 10-3 with 11:17 left. The Ducks immediately pulled one back when Savarese finished off a feed from Caplis, but the Devils had the answer with Schluter cashing in his own rebound off a Gold save and Campbell tallying an unassisted marker to open up an eight-goal cushion 12-4 with 6:31 gone. Tyler Ryan halted the DC charge for a brief moment, prior to a Brandau stop on Jake Wright leading to another Isaacson goal to make it 13-5. The shots continued to fly for DC with Griffin Moore and Gannon missing the mark, before Gannon found Schluter for the 14th goal of the day. 

Dickinson was determined not to give the Ducks a chance at getting back into the game as Ethan Gess and Farrell scored inside the opening two minutes of the fourth to extend the advantage to 16-5. The Ducks took advantage of a faceoff violation on DC when Savarese buried a nice dish by Tyler Ryan. The scoring dried up over the next couple of minutes until Porter beat Gold and Gess chipped in a man-up tally to push the lead out to 18-6 with 8:37 left. The Red and White would pick up two more markers on the game as Campbell made it 19-6, prior to Colin Williams joining in the scoring fun to set the 20-6 final. 

Red Devil Leaders

Goals - Campbell and Isaacson (4), Schluter (3), Gess (2)

Assists - Schluter (4), Booth (3)

Groundballs - McKee (9), Schluter (5)

Saves - Brandau (15), Patrick Scarborough (2)

Duck Leaders 

Goals - Savarese (3)

Groundballs - Aidan Hinphy (5)

Saves - Gold (17)

Up Next 

The Red Devils will face a familar foe tomorrow in the NCAA 3rd Round when they battle the Bullets of Gettysburg College at 3 p.m. on Biddle Field. The Bullets advanced by knocking off Roanoke College 14-8.