Porter Beats Clock and Blue Jays as #11 Devils Stay Unbeaten

Porter Beats Clock and Blue Jays as #11 Devils Stay Unbeaten

CARLISLE, Pa. - First-year Owen Porter fired a shot past Brayden Franey with no time left on the clock to help the 11th-ranked Dickinson men's lacrosse team knock off the visiting Elizabethtown College Blue Jays by a final of 13-12 on Thursday night at Biddle Field.

Elizabethtown went on the attack first as Gavin Gismondi missed high and Nick Cost was turned away by Chris Brandau. Dickinson made their first foray into the attacking half count when Skyler Schluter beat Franey off of a nice feed from Matt Thurston with 12:58 to go. Two minutes later the Red and White extended the margin to 2-0 with Sam Campbell tickling the twine. DC tried to add another tally as shots from Porter and Thurston missed the target. The Blue Jays would record the next seven shots with two beating Brandau to level the score. Dickinson outscored the visitors 2-1 over the final five minutes of the first with James Isaacson and Porter hitting the net for Dickinson to take a 4-3 edge to the second.

The Blue Jays grabbed the lead early in the second as they scored on their first two shots to make it 5-4 at the 1:56 mark. After a save by Brandau on Alex Kilgour the Devils had a successful clear ultimately resulting in a goal when Will Farrell posted his first of a career-high five points. Elizabethtown answered right back off the ensuing faceoff as Riley Langen missed high before Nick Cost put the guests back on top 6-5 with less than five minutes gone. Farrell notched his second of the period to level the score 6-6 with 5:02 off the clock. Dickinson took the following five shots with Tucker Booth, Campbell, and Schluter all missing the mark. That strong defensive effort sparked the Jays as Gavin Gismondi and Ben O'Connor each hit the net for an 8-6 edge. Farrell completed his quarter hat trick with 47-seconds left with an unassisted marker to make it 8-7 at half. 

Dickinson buried their first shot of the third period with Booth besting Franey to once again tie the score 8-8. After that goal, Patrick Scarborough took over between the pipes for DC and was immediately tested by Gismondi. E'Town made it 9-8 with 6:18 to play with a man-up tally after a slashing penalty against the Red and White. Four minutes later Dickinson added another goal with Thurston blasting the rock to the back of the cage. However, the ensuing faceoff win would let the Blue Jays take the lead to the fourth as Gismondi had his shot blocked by the defense before Owen Yake beat Scarborough for the 10-9 advantage after three.   

A late Dickinson penalty in the third allowed E'Town to begin the final frame man-up which led to Colin Cummings picking up a goal for the 11-9 lead just 51-seconds in. Three straight DC shots could not beat Franey, while at the other end of the field Yake was shutdown by the keeper. That led to Dickinson scoring two goals in quick succession as Farrell found Campbell for one before Campbell took matters into his own hands to tie things at 11 still with 9:40 remaining. Micah Ballew was inches away from giving the Jays the lead back but he rang the crossbar at the 8:43 mark. Teddy Macfarlane tracked down the groundball and 24-seconds later Thurston stepped into a shot and beat Franey to give DC the 12-11 edge. However, the visitors answered right back thanks to Kilgour. Elizabethtown tried to find the late winner with Derek Baldwin bearing down on Scarborough but he stood his ground. Then, with 13-seconds left the Devils cleared the ball and Schluter found Porter just to the right of the crease where he was able to fire a shot past Franey to beat the buzzer for the winner. 

Red Devil Leaders

Goals - Campbell and Farrell (3), Porter and Thurston (2)

Assists - Farrell and Thurston (2)

Groundballs - John McKee (4), Seamus McCloskey (3), Capp Reynolds and Porter (2)

Saves - Brandau (9), Scarborough (4)

Blue Jay Leaders

Goals - Gismondi and Yake (3)

Assists - Cost (3)

Groundballs - Danny Gilbert, Wes Mills, and Connor Stewart (5)

Saves - Franey (6)

Up Next

Dickinson (5-0) returns to action on Friday night at 8:30 when they head to Maryland to take on Stevenson University on Day One of the Mustang Classic in Owings Mills.