Five Multi-Goal Scorers Key #17 Devils in Win Over Maroons

Five Multi-Goal Scorers Key #17 Devils in Win Over Maroons

SPARKS, Md. - Will Farrell, Griffin Moore, Owen Porter, Skyler Schluter, and Matt Thurston combined for 14 of the Red and White's 19 markers on the afternoon as the No. 17 Dickinson men's lacrosse team stayed unbeaten with a 19-15 non-conference shootout win over Roanoke College on Sunday afternoon at the US Lacrosse Headquarters and Hall of Fame. 

Things began rather rocky for Dickinson as Quinn Evans, Sean Kennedy, and Wyatt Whitlow staked the Maroons to a 3-0 lead with just under five minutes played. The teams split the next four goals with Sam Campbell and Thurston hitting the back of the net behind Taylor Lewis to make it 5-2. The Devils recorded eight more shots over the final six minutes, which included three more tallies out of the sticks of Owen Porter and Thurston (2) to bring DC level at 5-5 after one. 

A late unnecessary roughness penalty against Jay Frye led to the Red and White taking their first lead of the day when Moore took a pass from Porter and beat Lewis. After a save by Chris Brandau at the other end of the ensuing faceoff Schluter buried an unassisted tally for the 7-5 edge with not even a minute off the clock. Tucker Booth missed the target three consecutive times around the five-minute mark of the period before Moore notched his second of the contest. George Gilbert scored man-up to stop a 6-0 DC romp to cut the deficit to 8-6. Shots from Campbell and Farrell went wide of the goal, but Schluter did not miss making it 9-6 with 8:02 left. Porter then ripped the back of the cage to increase the Devils advantage to 10-6. However, Roanoke racked up the next three in a row and almost made it four straight just prior to half, but Brandau shutdown Ethan Caldwell to leave DC on top 10-9 at the break. 

The Maroons made the first shot of the second half count as Caldwell got revenge on Brandau for the late save to knot the score. Dickinson scored the next two goals with Ethan Gess finishing off a pass from Booth, followed by Porter tucking home a rebound off a save of a James Isaacson shot for the 12-10 lead at the 4:22 mark. A penalty on the Red and White led to Gilbert cashing in man-up, but that was immediately answered by Schluter. Roanoke picked up two of the final three goals of the period to close within 14-13 after 45-minutes. 

Dickinson started the fourth quarter strong with Farrell and Thurston each stashing the rock beyond the reach of Lewis to push the DC advantage to 16-13 still with 12:58 remaining. The Maroons made the Red and White pay for a turnover at the 2:30 mark when DJ Nolan tracked down a loose ball and found Caldwell who setup Whitlow for the goal to make it 16-14. The Devils put the game away late in the period scoring three of the final four goals thanks to Cooper Chamberlain, Booth, and Farrell to post the 19-15 final.

Red Devil Leaders

Goals - Thurston (4), Porter and Schluter (3), Farrell and Moore (2)

Assists - Schluter (3), Booth (2)

Groundballs - John McKee (11), Toby Ketchum, Peter O'Sullivan, and Porter (4)

Saves - Brandau (12)

Maroon Leaders

Goals - Whitlow (5)

Assists - Luke Kammerman (6)

Groundballs - John Dias and Frye (4)

Saves - Lewis (16)

Up Next

Dickinson (3-0) will welcome No. 7 Cabrini University on Saturday afternoon at high noon for a Top-20 clash.