Big First Half Helps Men's Lacrosse Knock Off #12 Stevens

Big First Half Helps Men's Lacrosse Knock Off #12 Stevens

HOBOKEN, N.J. - First-year Owen Porter tallied a game-high four goals, including twice in the second quarter to help the visiting Dickinson College build a 7-2 halftime lead en route to a 13-6 win over the No. 12 Stevens Ducks on Saturday afternoon at the DeBaun Athletic Complex. 

Making his Red Devil debut goalie Chris Brandau was put to the test early as he made his first of 24 saves on the day at the 1:48 mark when he turned aside Jack Savarese. The Red and White made their first shot of the season count as Sam Campbell ripped one past Jake Zeyher. Stevens recorded the following four shots forcing a pair of stops out of Brandau. Will Farrell made it 2-0 DC with an unassisted marker with 8:35 gone. Trevor Carroll and Skyler Schluter traded goals at the end of the quarter to leave the visitors on top 3-1. 

Dickinson made Zeyher make two saves early in the second as he shutdown both Tucker Booth and Griffin Moore. After a slashing call against Peter O'Sullivan with 12:28 left, 32-seconds later Savarese buried a feed from Thomas Sabatino. Both teams would take two shots over the next three minutes with James Isaacson missing wide right, prior to Farrell scoring his second of the day to make it 4-2. The Devils made it 5-2 thanks to a marker from Ethan Gess after a nice pass by Booth. On that goal, Joe Cawley took an unnecessary roughness penalty which led to Porter cashing in on the man-up for the 6-2 advantage with 6:15 remaining. Porter once again took advantage of the man-up opportunity when Gess hit him for the 7-2 lead heading to the break. 

The two sides traded the first six shots of the period with Matt Thurston and Schluter causing Zeyher to make stops, while Brandau answered with a pair of saves of his own. Dickinson extended the cushion to six (8-2) with 2:51 gone when Porter completed his hat trick as Isaacson set him up. Zeyher once again was called into action making stops against Sam Campbell and Colin Williams, before Tim Carlson notched his first of the year. Stevens would get the final marker of the quarter with 4:44 remaining as Brendan Sullivan took advantage of a DC miscue to make it 9-3. 

Booth, Gess, and Porter each missed the mark in the opening three minutes of the final frame, before Thurston gave DC a seven-goal lead. Dickinson would then show off the transition offense just over a minute later as Brandau stopped Ryan Caplis which led to Capp Reynolds ripping the twine behind Zeyher for an 11-3 edge still with 10:43 left. At the midway point of the period, Stevens went on a two-man advantage where Sabatino bested Brandau for the fourth time on the day. It would then be Porter scoring his third man-up goal, prior to Sullivan responding for the Ducks trimming the gap to 12-5. Campbell and Savarese each tallied for their side the remainder of the game for the 13-6 final. 

Red Devil Leaders

Goals - Porter (4), Farrell and Thurston (2)

Assists - Booth and Gess (2)

Groundballs - John McKee (6), Brandau and Reynolds (3)

Saves - Brandau (24)

Duck Leaders

Goals - Savarese and Sullivan (2)

Assists - Tyler Ryan (2)

Groundballs - Zeyher (6), Aidan Hinphy (5)

Saves - Zeyher (15)

Next on the Turf

Dickinson (1-0) will welcome the River Hawks of Susquehanna University to Biddle Field on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. for the home opener.