Rough Second Half Stops Devils Streak at Six

Rough Second Half Stops Devils Streak at Six

CARLISLE, Pa. - The Dickinson men's basketball team was outscored 12-2 over the final 3:50 of the game as the visiting Haverford College Fords outscored the Red Devils 39-25 in the second half en route to a 73-69 come from behind victory on Thursday night at the Kline Center. The loss snapped a six-game win streak for the Red and White as their last loss came on January 20th at Gettysburg. 

Haverford was out of the games strong as they went on a 7-2 run over the first 88-seconds with Drew Haueisen supplying the only offense for the hosts. Jack Tierney and Bates brought the Red and White to within 9-7, before taking their first lead of the night at the 4:20 mark when Ryan Robinson knocked down a shot from long range. Three consecutive points from Anthony Goeb and a free throw by Andrew Gostovich a few moments later extended the lead to 16-11. Dickinson continued to keep up the pressure with a 7-0 run with Robinson accounting for five points during that stretch to open the gap up to 23-13 with 11:35 to go. A layup by Harry Johnson stunted the momentum for a brief moment before Bates, Gostovich, and Robinson score six straight to double-up the Fords at 30-15. Nate Torres and Johnson tallied five of the next six points to close within 31-20. However, five points from Gostovich extended the lead by one to 36-24 with just under five minutes remaining. Ryan Jackson, Nicholas Stewart, and Torres helped the guest to chip away making it 41-31. Gabriel Franklin and Gostovich traded triples inside the final 30-seconds to lead the score at 44-34 after 20 minutes.

Tierney netted the first five points of the second half for the Red and White to push the margin up to 49-37, which was followed by a Goeb layup with four minutes gone. Ryan Trotter and Torres scored for the visitors, before back-to-back longballs from Robinson and Tierney brought Red Devil Nation to life as the score ballooned out to 57-41. However, Josh Love and Stewart answered right back with triples of their own to quiet the crowd. Two minutes later Torres would turn a missed Jackson three into a dunk to make it 60-49. Just before the halfway point of the period, a technical foul was assessed to the Haverford bench which resulted in free throws for the Devils. Unfortunately, for Dickinson Robinson was unable to convert on either attempt. A Goeb triple pushed the lead to 63-49, but then Haverford came back with 12-0 run ending on three points from Johnson to cut the deficit to 63-61 with 5:20 left. Robinson tried to help Dickinson put the game away as he scored five in a row to make it 67-61 at the 15:41 mark. Unfortunately for the Red Devils the Fords got scalding hot from long range as Nick Kerkorian hit three consecutive triples to give the guests a 70-69 advantage with 2:23 left. Dickinson would go 0-5 down the stretch while Johnson and Torres closed the game out on the charity line for the 73-69 final.

Red Devil Leaders

Points - Robinson (21), Gostovich (14), Tierney (12)

Rebounds - Bates and Robinson (7), Goeb (6), Haueisen (5)

Assists - Robinson (5), Goeb (4)

Fords Leaders

Points - Torres (15), Johnson (13), Kerkorian (12), Stewart (10)

Rebounds - Torres (7), Jackson, Johnson, and Kerkorian (5)

Assists - Torres (4)

Next on the Court

Dickinson (9-10, 8-6 Centennial) will play game three of their four-game homestand on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. when they entertain No. 19 Johns Hopkins University at the Kline Center. Hopkins (17-3, 13-2 Centennial) is coming off a 78-48 win on Tuesday night at home.

Previous Matchup

The Red and White fell 82-48 on January 5th in Baltimore. Goeb led Dickinson with nine points, while Bates chipped in eight.