TITLE GAME BOUND! Devils Earn First Trip to CC Championship Game

TITLE GAME BOUND!  Devils Earn First Trip to CC Championship Game

COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – The third-seeded Dickinson field hockey team used stellar defense and timely goal-scoring to earn their first-ever victory in the Centennial Conference Semifinals as they knocked off the second seed and No. 13 Ursinus College Bears by a 2-1 score on Friday night at E.F. Snell Field. The win was the first for the Devils over the Bears in the postseason and sends Dickinson to their first-ever Centennial Conference Championship game.

Ursinus carried most of the play in the first quarter outshooting the Devils five to one. However, each keeper had to make one save as Saige Stevens shutdown Devon Carroll at the 1:34 mark. Dickinson had their only chance with 6:55 gone when Hailey Womer made a strong run down the right side and fired a shot that was kicked to the side by Jordan Ulsh. The Bears got the final shot of the period with 5:17 remaining, but Sarah Symes was stymied by the DC defense.

The Bears continued to try and push the tempo in the second recording the first three shots of the quarter with Jamie Mayer or Carroll unable to test Stevens through the first ten minutes. The Devils made their first chance of the frame count as Sydney Engler played a pass inside the circle that was batted out of the air by Womer to Bridget Fontaine who tapped the ball beyond Ulsh for the 1-0 lead with 2:53 left. UC tried to take advantage of a late penalty corner, but Moore could not get a shot towards cage sending the game to halftime.

Dickinson would extend their advantage just under five minutes into the third when Ellie Werner blasted a shot just inside the circle that was stopped by Ulsh. However, the ensuing rebound rolled over Ulsh shoulder and was pushed into the goal by Amanda Fruman for the 2-0 lead. The Bears dominated the possession the rest of the period getting five penalty corners and six shots, but the Red Devils defense was stellar as they did not allow an attempt to get to Stevens.

Ursinus tried to fight back in the fourth quarter as Carroll ripped a shot wide of the net at the five-minute mark. The Bears recorded their first shot on goal since the 1:34 mark of the first quarter with 6:21 remaining when Laura Rothschild found Moore with a cross-crease pass for the finish trimming the deficit to 2-1. Stevens would be called upon one final time with 56:47 gone as she denied Moore at point-blank range to preserve the Devils win.

Championship Bound

Dickinson will play for their first-ever Centennial Conference championship when they head to top-seeded Johns Hopkins University tomorrow night for a 7 p.m. start.