Red Devils Earn Second Consecutive Shootout Victory

Red Devils Earn Second Consecutive Shootout Victory

WESTMINSTER, Md. - For the second time in less than a week the Dickinson field hockey team had to go beyond overtime to the shootout, and for the second straight time the Red Devils came out on top earning a 2-1 win on Wednesday night at McDaniel College in Centennial Conference action.  

The game would wait five minutes until the first shot when Emily Paulson had her attempt stopped by Devils keeper Saige Stevens. Dickinson mustered up their only chance of the quarter with 39-seconds left Bridget Fontaine missed the cage high.

Three minutes into the second Mikayla Smith would be called upon in the Green Terror net when she denied Morgan Yandow-Harding to keep things scoreless. Then in the 23rd-minute Stevens had to make a pair of saves as she stopped Yeseniah Ortiz and Amanda Sponaugle.

The two sides played the opening five minutes of the third without a shot before a Red Devils foul in the circle led to a penalty stroke for the home side which was put away by Sponaugle. Amy Richenderfer tried to make it 2-0 before the end of the third, but Stevens had other ideas making her fourth stop of the night. Dickinson's only opportunity in the quarter for a shot came with three minutes left, unfortunately, the penalty corner played in by Amanda Fruman did not lead to an attempt.

Dickinson needed just 34-seconds of the fourth quarter to notch the equalizer as Fruman hit Yandow-Harding on a penalty corner who let a shot fly from the top of the circle. Fortunately, for DC Sierra Bobb was there for a deflection in front of Smith to tie the game at 1-1. Three minutes later Abby Marthins had consecutive shots denied by Smith, before Hannah Spiri had a blast swept off the line by Richenderfer. Both keepers would be tested once more in the period with Stevens turning away Ortiz and Tara Hausker beating Smith with her shot, but Morgan Collins recorded the host's second defensive save of the contest. 

The first overtime period saw Spiri record the only two shots with Smith pushing one away and Collins picking up her second defensive stop. The final ten-minute segment belonged to the Devils as they earned nine penalty corners and had shots from Philine Smits and Marthins, but neither was able to dent Smith sending the game to the shootout.

Hailey Womer began the shootout by running right at Smith, then stepping to her left and depositing the ball. Stevens was able to wait out Emily Paulson as she pushed her shot away with the blocker. Next for the Devs was Bobb, and she would cash in after being tripped up by Smith on her initial carry. On the second shooter for the Green Terror, Stevens never allowed a shot to be taken. Spiri made DC 3-3 with a spin-move past Smith for the finish. Emma Legacy was the last hope for McDaniel and Stevens made sure she was the last shooter with a diving save to her left for the win.

Next on the Pitch

Dickinson returns home on Saturday to battle the Fords of Haverford College in Centennial Conference play at high noon.