No. 17 Blue Jays Overpower Devils

No. 17 Blue Jays Overpower Devils

BALTIMORE, Md. – The Dickinson football team took an early 3-0 lead but allowed 27 straight points to the visiting Johns Hopkins Blue Jays in the second quarter to earn a 37-10 Centennial Conference win on Saturday afternoon at Homewood Field.  

Dickinson began the game strong with the rushing attack of Diante Ball and Princeton Douglass leading the charge led by a 55-yard charge by Douglass on 2nd-and-27 to setup first down on the Hopkins 20. Tim Graham found Andrew Reale for five and Ball added five on the ground to put the rock on the JHU9. Unfortunately, the drive then stalled out resulting in a 32-yard Raleigh Wynot field goal.

The Devils had a great opportunity to add on to their lead after an Ellis Tompkins interception of Ryan Stevens put DC in great shape at their own 42 with 8:06 left in the first. Graham hooked up with Douglass for 11 and Bryce Peterson for nine to move into Blue Jays territory at the 47. Robert Geiss then ran for 14 and hit Ball with a 15-yard strike to make it first-and-goal on the nine. However, two plays later Graham would be intercepted by Nick Seidel.

Dickinson forced a Blue Jays punt on their next drive to give themselves another opportunity to add on to their advantage, but after a 14-yard scamper by Ball, he would put the rock on the turf allowing Hopkins to take over on their own 22 to end the opening frame.

The second quarter totally belonged to the home team as they put up 27 consecutive points on rushing scores by Jacob Chapman, Spencer Uggla, and Danny Wolf along with a five-yard pass from Stevens to Quinn Revere to take a 27-3 lead at the break.

Hopkins made quick work of their opening drive of the third quarter taking just three plays for Stevens to find Harrison Wellmann for a 51-yard strike making it 34-3.

Dickinson would get their first points since the first quarter midway into the frame using a five-play 59-yard march in under just three minutes to lead to a three-yard td rush by Geiss. The biggest play in that series was a 38-yard completion from Geiss to Douglass.

The Devils picked up the final points of the afternoon with 15-seconds remaining as Geiss found Douglass for a three-yard strike to wrap-up an 11-play 77-yard drive for the 37-17 final.  

Next on the Field

Dickinson returns home next Saturday, November 13th at 1 p.m. for Senior Day as they welcome the Ursinus College Bears to Biddle Field.