Slow First Half Dooms Devils in Loss to Greyhounds

Slow First Half Dooms Devils in Loss to Greyhounds

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The host Moravian University Greyhounds scored 21 first-half points and held off a strong second-half push by the Dickinson football team to earn a 21-14 Centennial Conference win on Saturday afternoon at Rocco Calvo Field.

On the opening drive of the game, Moravian used a nice mix of ground and air to move the ball just outside of the redzone. On 4-and-7 from the DC24 Trevor Yacuboski lined up for a 41-yard field goal try, but it was blocked by Dominic Fusco and returned to the MOR24 by Keon Eady.

Dickinson started their possession behind the chains after a false start penalty on first down. Tim Graham would hook up with Johnny Knight on two straight passes to set up 4th-and-4 at the 18. Raleigh Wynot trotted out for a 35-yard kick, but he too had it blocked allowing the Hounds to start at their own 20.

Consecutive double-digit yard runs for Nate Boyle set up 1st-and-10 at the MOR41. The next play saw the first points of the afternoon with Christopher Mills finding Nick Petros for a 59-yard td (Yacuboski kick) and a 7-0 lead with 7:10 left in the first.

The score would stay that way into the second as the hosts looked to add-on driving all the way down to DC19 before Mills would be picked off by Taj DeFrance to end the drive. However, Dickinson could not do anything on the ensuing possession as Caleb Pruitt was intercepted by Noah Breidinger at the Devils 22.

On play later Moravian was on the board as the Mills-Petros connection struck again to extend the margin to 14-0.

After the Hounds stopped DC on a 4th-and-1 at the MOR44, Mills found Tim Garlick for 31 yards before Boyle would scamper in six plays later to cap a seven-play drive and make it 21-0 at the break.

Dickinson began the third quarter strong going five plays with Graham finding Princeton Douglass for 26 and Knight for nine to advance the ball down to the MOR22. That led to Graham hitting Daniel Bathon for a 22-yard strike and a 21-7 score after Wynot added the kick.

With the score still 21-7 to start the fourth Dickinson took over at their own 41. With Pruitt leading the attack he hit Knight for 13 and Robert Geiss for 31 to setup 1st-and-10 at the MOR15. Pruitt would then do it himself seven snaps later with a six-yard keeper to cut the deficit to 21-14 with 12:07 remaining.

The Red Devils would have one more trip towards the redzone moving down to the MOR20 through 23 yards on the ground by Diante Ball and a 10-yard pass to Geiss. However, Geiss would put the ball on the ground on 2nd-and-9 with Romello Walters falling on it for Moravian to seal up the 21-14 final.

Up Next – Rivalry Week

Dickinson will welcome rival Franklin & Marshall College to Biddle Field on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. for the Wagon Game. It will be a RED OUT!