Red Devils Go Head to Head With #22 River Hawks

Photo by Matt O'Haren
Photo by Matt O'Haren

(Selinsgrove, Pa.) – The Dickinson football team went head-to-head with #22-ranked Susquehanna University on Saturday night, taking them to the wire but the River Hawks would hold on in the end for a 24-17 decision.

The Red Devils slip to 2-3 overall and all three losses have come to ranked opponents this season.

The Red Devils made a nice stand on Susquehanna's opening drive, holding the River Hawks to a 35-yard field-goal.

Junior quarterback Robert Geiss (Malvern, Pa./Great Valley) put the Red Devils on the board, answering with a 33-yard touchdown pass to Daniel Salamone (Great Falls, Va./Langley) to give Dickinson an early 7-3 lead.

Senior Trystin Golowski (Columbus, N.J./Bishop Eustace) added a 27-yard field-goal to put Dickinson up, 10-3, with 10:38 to play in the first half.

Mikah Christian pulled in a 39-yard touchdown pass from Michael Ruisch and Craig Roumes returned an interception for a score as the River Hawks pulled in front, 17-10, with five minutes remaining in halftime.

Dickinson looked to counter in the third as Geiss broke for a big run, taking the ball to Susquehanna 18-yard line. The Red Devils looked with a field-goal, but the kick went wide.

The Red Devils came right back on its next possession and Jeremy Walsh (Shickshinny, Pa./Northwest Area) bulled his way into the end zone to knot the game at 17 with 3:26 to play in the third quarter.

The River Hawks stuck back immediately as Christian caught a 41-yard touchdown pass to put SU back in front at the 2:01 mark.

Susquehanna went for it on 4th-and-one with eight minutes to play, leading to a controversial first-down as the chains were moved forward and then brought back for a measurement. Susquehanna was given the first down and three plays later gambled again on 4th down but this time the Red Devils made a huge stop with just over five minutes to play.

Susquehanna forced a punt on a nice pass break up and they would take over on their own 32-yard line with 4:47 remaining in the game and was able to run out the clock and secure the win.

Geiss had a big night, offensively, rushing for 113 yards and passing for 98. Salamone caught six passes for 75 yards and the touchdown.

First-year Anthony Cicini (Berwick, Pa./Berwick) led the defense with eight tackles, including three for losses. Brian Snow (Media, Pa./Episcopal) recorded seven tackles, two for losses and matched Cicini with six solo stops on the day.

Johnny Knight (Warwick, Md./Bohemia Manor) added six tackles while Jordan Hollander (Waverly, Pa./Abington Heights) tallied five stops and averaged 35.4 yards on five punts.

The Red Devils are on a bye week next Saturday. They return the following week to host McDaniel College on October 19 at 1:00 pm on Biddle Field.