Red Devil Rewind | Field Hockey Posts Historic Win Over #9 Ranked Bears

Photo by Chris Knight
Photo by Chris Knight

Today's Red Devil Rewind looks back just one year ago, highlighting the Dickinson field hockey team shocking #9-ranked Ursinus for the first win over the Bears in program history.

The Red Devils overcame a 2-0 deficit to knock-off the #9-ranked Bears. Ursinus captured the first 19 meetings of the series after moving from Division I and into the Centennial Conference in 2002.

The Bears looked like they were on track to extend the streak to an even 20, scoring a pair of goals in first quarter.

Ursinus capitalized on a penalty corner as Devon Carroll finished the insert from Gabriella Howell, 5:21 into the match.

The Bears doubled the margin with just under seven minutes to play in the quarter as Carroll fed Erin Saybolt on another penalty corner to stretch the lead to 2-0.

The Red Devils used a pair of penalty corners of their own to answer with two in the second period to pull even at the break. Dickinson put goals on the board from some unlikely sources as well as defender Jillian Beemon (Ann Arbor, Mich./Skyline) found the back of the cage with the first goal of her collegiate career with eight minutes to play in the half.

Another Red Devil would tally her first of the season as senior Mia Scott (Mount Laurel, N.J./Holy Cross) scored off an assist from Amanda Fruman (Owings Mills, Md./Garrison Forest) with just a minute to go in the half.

The third quarter did not see many chances for either team as Ursinus forced three corners but was outshot 2-1 in the period. The Red Devils would capitalize, however, as first-year Elsie Harrington (Katonah, N.Y./Berkshire School) had one shot blocked but not the second as she netted the first goal of her career to put Dickinson on top with 7:31 on the clock.

The Bears produced four penalty corners in the opening three minutes of the fourth quarter, but the Red Devils held strong, holding on to the one goal lead. 

Senior goalkeeper Heather Meeder (Baltimore, Md./Notre Dame Prep) turned away a huge strike from Carroll and then laid out to make another big save just seconds later on a penalty corner.

The Red Devils did not sit back, keeping the pressure on the Bears until the final horn. They forced three late corners as well, keeping possession in the attacking end of the field.

In the end, the Red Devils outshot the Bears, 13-8, while Ursinus held the advantage in corners, 12-7.

Ursinus goalkeeper Addie Frey made a seven saves as the Bears slip to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in the conference.

Meeder finished an outstanding performance with seven saves on the day.